Mini Transylvania Park

In order to promote and boost tourism in Szeklerland we have already started to realize a Mini Transylvania Park at Băile Seiche where visitors can see more than sixty models of historical monuments and medieval castles in Transylvania. In this park both adults and children can spend a meaningful day, among other interesting things they can make a round trip traveling by the mini Szekler steamer.  

 

Information:

The park is located at Băile Szejke, near Odorheiu Secuiesc.

Opening hours: every day between 10:00 and 18:00.

Admission is 10 lei for adults, 5 lei for children and pensioners and free for children under 3 years.

For groups (10+ people) the entrance is 8 lei.

Those who present an invoice issued by a restaurant or accommodation in the vicinity of Odorheiu Secuiesc, can visit Mini Transilvania Park for free until August 15.

Entry is limited in number at a time, in accordance with medical regulations.

Székelytámadt fortress, Odorheiu-Secuiesc:

The Székelytámadt fortress is one of the most famous monuments in Odorheiu Secuiesc. There are suggestions that there was already a fortress in the Roman era. Before the Tatar invasion, a church and a monastery was founded at the site of the fortress, and monks lived there until the 16th century. They were banished by ruler János Zsigmond before the construction of the fortress. It was built in two stages: it started in the 1490s, then fortified and enlarged in the 1560s to give the ruler János Zsigmond control over the rebel Szeklers (the name of the fortress can be translated as the Attack of the Szeklers). In 1599 it was destroyed by the Szeklers, but a year ago its renovation had began. The town council bought it in poor condition in 1852, and in 1893 they built a real-state school inside. The fortress was designated as a monument in 1955.

 

(Http://udvarhelyszek.eloerdely.ro/epitett-orokseg/var/szekely-tamadt-var)

 

The Biertan Fortified Church

It is one of the most beautiful fortified churches of Transylvania. In 1993 it became part of the world heritage. The church already existed in 1282, and it was already fortified in 1486, because a third of the locals was acquitted of the wartime obligation by King Matthew Corvinus to guard this fortress. Until the 19th century it was the seat of the Lutheran bishopric. The altar of the church is one of the largest in Transylvania, and the door of the 16th-century sacristy, equipped with fifteen locks, won the gold medal in 1900 at the Paris World Exposition. The locals locked in this fortress the couples who desired to divorce. They had to spend two weeks in this fortress, sharing a single bed, a table and a single cutlery - after these two weeks only one couple had divorced for four hundred years. It was awarded with Europa Nostra Award in 1991. Annual meeting of all the Saxons in Transylvania is being organized here.

 

(Http://kirandulastippek.hu/szaszfold/berethalom-erodtemplom)

Fortress of Deva

On the hill near Deva existed a fortress even in Roman times. After the Tartar invasion it was rebuilt, the new fortress was mentioned first in 1264. The wall of the fortress has three parts built in different epochs in spiral form. It was renowned as a fortress that can not be occupied. This was the prison and the place of death of Dávid Ferenc (1579), the founder of the Transylvanian reformed and Unitarian church. Dobó István, the captain of the city of Eger was also imprisoned here. The fortress was auctioned in the 18th century, then its condition degraded significantly. Its restoration began only in the 19th century. In 1849, at the end of the Hungarian Revolution, the revolutionaries' general Bem capitulated here. In 1896 the fortress became the property of the historical institute from Hunedoara County, and it was restored. It was closed in the 20th century, and it was reopened in 2016. This fortress is the scene of one of the most popular Transylvanian folk ballads, Kőmíves Kelemenné.

 

(http://lexikon.adatbank.transindex.ro/muemlek.php?id=369)

Bran Castle (Törcsvár (HU) - Bran (RO))

It is a common belief that Bran Castle belonged to Count Vlad Tepes, known as Dracula, but there is no evidence that the ruler has ever lived there. The castle was built in 1377 with the purpose of defending against the troops of the Wallachians. The prison of the city is extremely scary with its low entry. In the 15th century, the King of Hungary gave it in pledge to the locals, providing that the magistrate was always Hungarian. In 1660 the fortress was occupied by II. Rákóczi György's Szekler army. In 1916, the Saxons from Braşov gave it back to King Charles IV. In 1931 it became the property of the Habsburg family, then belonged to the state, but its condition had been heavily degraded. The restoration of the fortress began in 1987 – now it gives place to a museum.

 

(Http://www.erdelyivarak.hu/magyar/oldalak/torcsvar_bran_drakula/)

Făgăraș castle

Făgăraş' fortress had been attacked many times in the past centuries, but it has never been occupied with weapons. It has been donated several times to Transylvanian nobles. On the place of the existing fortress there was another, that one built in the 14th century. According to historical sources, the first fortress belonged to Iancu de Hunedoara starting with 1455 and was attacked twice by Vlad Tepes. King Matthew Corvin of Hungary donated it to a noble in 1464, but only one year later he changed his mind and took it back to give it to the Voivode of Wallachia or Moldavia. Between 1715 and 1960 it was a penitentiary. In 1721 Făgăraş was designated as the residence of the Romanian Greek-Catholic bishopric, and the fortress became the residence of the bishop. It was restored in 1970

Newsletter